Our congregation became a church, the first to be organized in Marysville, in 1827. Marysville was then a village of less than a dozen log cabins.
In 1829 the trustees of the church bought a lot on the north-west corner of what is now Fourth and Walnut Streets for $8. A building was built on the lot in 1837 at a cost of $590. The frame building was 30' x 40' with a basement. It served a small but growing congregation for 17 years until a brick church was finished on the southeast corner of Fifth and Walnut Streets (the present location of the Shell Gas Station) in 1854.
In 1871 a parsonage was built on the present site of the Court house. The house was sold to the county commissioners in 1880 for $3,000. The next parsonage was located on the southeast corner of East Seventh and South Plum Streets.
The first service of worship in our present building was held on January 1, 1897. The dedication service was held in February of 1900. In 1907 a house was purchased for the parsonage that stood where the County building is now located. The house was moved to South Court Street in 1930. It served a as the parsonage until 1958 when a new parsonage was built at 420 Hickory Drive at a cost of $32,000.
A major remodeling to our present building occurred in 1948 and an addition was added in 1959. In 1963 the church sanctuary was completely renovated. Another major remodeling and addition occurred in 1981.
The Burnside Family Life Center, kitchen, many new classrooms, rest rooms, showers, and extensive remodeling of the offices and the area under the sanctuary was completed in the fall of 1998.
Our church's name through the years has been:
- First Methodist Episcopal Church (1827 - 1939)
- First Methodist Church (1939 - 1968)
- First United Methodist Church (1968 - present)